Category Archives: Independent Financial Planner

Grandfathering of conflicted remuneration to benefit independent financial planners

The government last week announced how pre-FoFA conflicted remuneration arrangements would be treated going forward. Simply, all existing arrangements will be grandfathered indefinitely. There’s more. A 12 month transition period (to 30 June 2014) was also announced for financial planners. During this time new clients are still able to enter into pre-FoFA (conflicted) fee arrangements. […]

Posted in Independent Financial Planner | Comments closed

Are accountants qualified to advise on SMSF’s?

One of the key reforms announced by the Government as part of its Future of Financial Advice (FoFA) package will allow accountants to provide greater levels of financial advice, particularly with respect to self-managed super funds (SMSF’s). Presently, accountants are not required to hold an Australian Financial Services License (AFSL) but are permitted to provide […]

Also posted in News Blog | Comments closed

ASIC crackdown on use of ‘independent’

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) recently conducted a surveillance exercise in response to a single consumer complaint relating to use of the term ‘independent’. As a result, the ASIC found that 17 general insurance brokers, 3 financial planners and 1 life insurance broker were misleading consumers by claiming they offered independent advice. The […]

Also posted in News Blog | Comments closed

Of the 18,000 licensed financial planners in Australia, 85% are affiliated with large financial institutions such as banks, life insurance companies, fund managers and superannuation providers. Of the remaining 15% most are employed by independently-owned practices, but a tiny number (less than 40) work for independent financial advice firms. So what does this mean if […]

  • Send Us Your Enquiry Today!

    Name *

    Email *

    My enquiry relates to:

    Additional Information

    Enter the CODE below:
    captcha

  • FPE on YouTube

  • About Financial Planning Expert

    Financial Planning Expert is an independent financial planning business based in Melbourne. We provide genuinely independent and conflict free financial advice. We’re experts in self-managed superannuation fund (SMSFs) advice and strategy, retirement planning, property and share investment advice, life and income protection insurance, tax planning, asset protection, estate planning and advice for Australian expatriates.